Malware type - Citadel malware platform
The computer freezes and a screen is displayed warning the user they have violated United States federal law. The message further declares the user’s IP address has been identified by the Federal Bureau of Investigation as visiting websites that feature child pornography and other illegal content.
To unlock the computer, the user is instructed to pay a fine to the U.S. Department of Justice using a prepaid money card service. The geographic location of the user’s IP address determines what payment services are offered. In addition to the ransomware, the Citadel malware continues to operate on the compromised computer and can be used to commit online banking and credit card fraud.
How to Clean it
1. Hold down the power button on your laptop/PC until it fully shuts down.
2. Power back on and login using a different user profile other than the infected one. If you don't have another user profile, restart your system and go to safe mood (F8 key while booting up), create a new user profile, then restart system.
3. Under the new user profile, download and install AVG Cleaner from: https://free.avg.com/us-en/free-antivirus-download
4. Run AVG Cleaner Updates then Run full scan.
5. Once complete, restart your system, empty your internet temporary files, and avoid going back to the same website which you got the malware from.
If you made a payment, file a complaint: https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx
For questions or help, feel free to comment below.